The data collection step is often underestimated
The data collection is often underestimated :
- If the number of the different sources is high, the danger of using inaccurate data is very high. This principle is obvious to all.
- The cost of collecting verified data is usually high, but underestimated in the total data budget ;
- If financial subventions are at stake, then the danger of having data providers voluntarily fordging their data is important. So a credible authority certifying the data provided is key. Which adds up to the costs ;
- Collecting data is a tideous task, especially if the interviewees are very busy or do no see the importance of those data, thus appplying a low priority to that collection effort. As a consequence, the interviewer has to come back several times to insist in being provided the expected data ;
- It is sometimes necessary to be physically present at the time and the place of data sampling. Costs may thus skyrocket ;
A dedicated and profesisonal data collecting team is therefore necessary, in order to validate that step
What we can bring to your team
- We can make ourself available geographically and in a expected time frame.
- We care about data. Meaning we will be cautious about the veracity of the provided content.
- We may bring some light on your providers, taking some the time to explain why the data is collected and how they will receive feedback. The point is to keep them interested so that your company may use those contacts again for another study.
It is utmost important that a total confidentiality is enforce on :
- the interviewees personal data ;
- any interviewee’s personal comments ;
- the collected data ;
We obviously sign an NDA in favour of your company about that confidentiality.
Using the most appropriate collecting tools
We see with a smile many companies thinking that a simple Excel spreadsheet is OK to collect the data.
As much as we have been in love with Microsoft Excel for the last 35 years, the technology has evolved as many producers have their own smartphone and some place, either the place of their work, their office or home where they have access to Internet.
We can create an input form and make it available on Internet
The basic criteria of a successful form are :
- An easy access ;
- A secure access ;
- Ask only for the necessary input ;
- Take ergonomy in consideration ( large letters for instance ) ;
- Use a simple vocabulary, check that the translation is 100% correct and not ambiguous ;
- Systematically save every single input in order not to have to input it again and again ;
- Adhere to the good old KISS ( Keep It Simple, Stupid ) principle.
The connection of the form must be rock solid not to change into a headache, and easy to use.
- A good thing is to ask the provider of the data to sign the form ;
- It is always appreciated by the interviewee to receive an email listing all the questions and the provided answers :
As a company, you often have different levels of reporting :
- At the operational level : at time of collecting data, or shaping the data into a database format, or generating reports, or analysing things, we happily collabotate with a the person in charge of the execution of the process.
- At the security level : data have often different level of confidentiality. Some should only be visible by managers or by someone at the PR department. Some other data can be readable by all staff. The security of the data you request is an extremely important aspect of our mission, and at the top of our priorities
- At the IT level : your IT team often request the full data ;
- At the management level : managers often ask for information only relevant to them.
So this is important for us to sit together with you and understand the various levels of security and utility of the reported data ;
Static reports are a thing of the last century.
Now your staff likes to analyze by themselves the data which is relevant to them. It is becoming an important part of their vision, and their mission.
So we can provide are data nestled within an application allowing for a secured access, but also to display dynamic data a way users customized by themselves.
We often use POWER BI for that reason. Edited by Microsoft, it is becoming an cross-industry standard, and allows user to manipulate the available data without being IT specialists.
Data analysis is not new. Henri Ford, Thomas Edison were already heavy user of data.
Today, data is just massive and is considered as highly strategic. Not only short and long term strategies are now depending on data, but also the competing advantage of any delivered product.
Sourcing better providers
For instance, a large corporation may decide to use only sustainable sources. Data will then be needed to select providers, to help them transition to sustainability, and market that new decision to help sales.
A large number of providers may translate into a huge quantity of data.
As a competition constantly evolves, a way to fight is often to gather data, comprehend it, identify schemes, and take new decisions.
Understand customers better
All companies have now understood that listening to customer purchase behaviour is essential. Now customer profiling is key to a number of advertising businesses. And its is mostly derived from their Internet navigation. 5 billion people have been using Internet. That is a MASSIVE quantity of data pouring in.
Open data and artificial intelligence is here to stay
Most advanced governments are opening their data to the public. In France for instance, there are about 1 million home sales each year, each year representing half a giga-byte of pure text data.
To create an estimation tool able to guess the price of a real estate property, one has to study the last 10 years of home sales. That is 10 million sales. Obviously, classic tools such as Excel cannot cope any longer. Excel allows for instance only 1 million lines. Data specialists and new data tools are actively sought after for their hindsights.
Hiring data analysts is becoming an issue for most companies
At a time when most companies try to outsource their ressources in order to cut operational expenses and improve their turnaround, hiring is an issue.
That is why Data-Expertise.ch proposes to help.
We can help any company ( data is data ) not to increase their operational expenses while still being at the top on the Data subject.
- Should the mission involves a relocation to be closer to provider, we can do it ;
- Should the task involves taking care of a full data collection process or shaping databases, we can do it ;
- Should you need to take advantage of open data and turn into easy-to-manipulate data for your managers, we can do it
You now understood. We are definitely here to help.